Thursday, September 15, 2011

I get it from my momma!

You always hear that when you get older you act more and more like your parents.  Which in some cases you have to take the bad with the good, right?  I am sure we all have parental traits we don’t want to surface…hopefully I am not the only person out there that thinks like this!  I want to talk about two things that definitely got passed down to me from my mom! 
1.        Antiquing/junking/thrifting
2.       Crafts

I grew up in a small town that didn’t have much to offer other than antique stores.  This made shopping trips with my mom so much fun!  Trying to find that buried treasure and at a good deal too.  That never changed with me – even throughout college I would make my way to surrounding small towns to go thrifting and I still love it! 

Just this past weekend my husband and I visited this place.  We came across the info for this antique mall in a magazine my husband bought to surprise me.  What can I say – he is the best!  1.  For buying a magazine he knew I would love and 2. For wanting to go to the antique mall with me.  There were a lot of treasures I would have loved to have but we are on a budget so we only came home with these:

The milk glass bowl is my fave.  I have always loved milk glass (just like my mother).  I am picky though when it comes to the pieces I like.  This bowl happened to be $4 with 50% off – Score!  We paid $2 for this beauty. 

Now on to crafts.  My mother and I did numerous crafts when I was younger.  Everything ranging from making: Christmas ornaments, hair clips/bows, jewelry, wreaths, sewing and decorating pine cones.  I loved it all!  This is one of the main reasons I host a Holiday Ornament Party every year (the second Saturday in December) – I have done this since 2006.  So this year will be my 6th year!  My husband is hugely supportive of my love for crafts and even tells me I am craft collector.  Funny man! 

In the past few years I have taken some craft classes: pottery, fused glass, stained glass, precious metal clay etc.  Needless to say there is a whole lot more I would love to learn about: glass blowing, wood working etc.  I am currently getting back into a few things I really love like sewing.  I don’t have pictures of my old projects but do know that new stuff will be shown here soon…hopefully. 

I have big plans for getting my Etsy shop up and running.  Finally – only about two years in the making (name change, product change etc.)!  Seriously – I created my Etsy shop in July 2009 then changed my mind and created a new one in April 2011.  Will share my Etsy link soon.  Can’t wait to get back into crafting on a regular basis and having fun!

Thanks mom – for passing your love of antiquing and crafts on to me!  It really is a passion of mine and provides much needed stress relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment